Craft Ideas for Children!
Growing up, I was one of four children. Suffice it to say, my mom had her work cut out for her. Every Mother’s Day we had a tradition, my dad would take us all to pick out flowers in a variety of colors to plant in our front yard. We would all come home and plant the flowers together, just my dad, siblings and I would be out in the front yard digging holes and planting a beautiful assortment of flowers to surprise my mom. Now looking back on it, this was clearly all a ruse so that my mom could spend the day alone, which now, as a mother myself, I realize was probably the greatest gift my dad could give her 😂!
With Mother’s Day only a few weeks away, it’s time to start thinking about those AMAZING mother figures in our lives! Here’s a quarantine-friendly list of ideas that your children can do at home…
- Body Scrub: Body Scrub! A great DIY gift that kids can easily make at home! See below a few recipes (using pantry staples, of course!) that will all moisturize, exfoliate and cleanse skin. Body scrubs, depending on the ingredients, have a variety of benefits and are super fun to make at home! My personal favorite is a Coffee Coconut Sugar scrub! It leaves your skin feeling silky smooth.
- ¾ cup solid organic coconut oil (I use the one from Trader Joe’s)
- 2 cups of sugar (natural cane sugar or brown sugar works)
- 1 cup dried coffee grounds
- Mix coffee grounds and sugar together in a blender or food processor for 2 minutes and then add the solid coconut oil in and mix for another 1-2 minutes
- Store in an airtight container, be sure to keep the container in a cool environment!
- Popsicle Stick Frames: Always a classic option! This gift idea will keep your children entertained and busy for hopefully longer than ten minutes! All you need are a few items that you may already have around your house. If not, you can always improvise and let your kids use their creativity to make something that holds a picture!
- Any size popsicle sticks
- Thumbtack (optional)
- Washi tape (markers, stickers, yarn could also work!)
- Wrap the washi tape (or yarn) around your 4 popsicle sticks, wrap as many sticks as you’d like (To make it easier use markers/stickers to decorate)!
- Glue them in a square that will fit the picture you have in the middle
- Use a thumbtack to attach picture to your frame
- Make a Mother’s Day Flipbook! This is a great option, if your children love to write and draw pictures. All you need is markers and paper to create a personalized flipbook for that special lady in your life! The kids can add pictures to your book or draw their own pictures. I’ve created a list of sentence starters to provide a framework for your book. This makes for a great keepsake that showcases your child’s shared memories with you!
- Page Sentence Starter Ideas:
- My favorite memory of us…
- A time you made me feel loved…
- A time you made me laugh…
- I admire you because…
- You make me smile when…
All that considered, you can always do what my family did and leave the woman in your life alone for the day! Let her read a book, take a bath, take a nap, and eat a meal without someone asking if they can have some. Sometimes it’s the little things that make all the difference. Mother’s Day always seems to sneak up on me, so I hope you find these ideas useful!
Have a Mother’s Day activity that brings joy? We’d love to hear from you!